Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Total Annihilation Gaming

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members of Total Annihilation Gaming via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Jigsaw

Steam Profile Integration   01/18/2017

Hey everyone you can add your steam profile to the forum. This is what your profile will look like. This is how to add your steam below.    
    • dekela

NEW Tanoa Exile server with CUP now open   08/13/2017

IP: 103.231.91.5  PORT: 2602 Please join this server as it will replace our current server at the end of this month (August). Thanks
Sign in to follow this  
dekela

What to do?

26 posts in this topic

As I'm sure everyone has noticed,  our servers are not attracting many players noe day.  Wasteland is almost always empty,  and exile has dropped from 30-40 player to 10-15 if lucky. 

I don't know what has caused the decline,  PUBG is part,  but it's not looking good.  Donations are dropping,  and while we have 400+ members, half a dozen may be active. 

My question is,  is it worth fighting any more.  Is it worth keeping low pop servers online? The problem with closing the servers is that we will lose our community,  as there will be no need to come back here.  Also,  those who still wish to play arma would need to find a new home. As for myself, I'm not sure what I would do. 

It saddens me to see where we are,  compared to where we were. We admin team have done our best,  but we are getting nowhere fast. So,  my question  is,  what do we do now.  Where do we go from here. Do we continue to fight or just admit defeat and call it a day? 

Well, I hope you don't decide to close down your Exile server. It's one of the highest pop Exile servers in Aus. I came here for two reasons, my own clan server is a ghost town these days (everyone is playing other things at the moment) and it's an Altis server which I'm not really in the mood for at the moment (really wanted some Tanoa play).

Over the last couple of years, even at our best we only had 10-15 people on a night on that server as well. To see 10-20+ people on your server regularly is still pretty amazing to me. I have played occasionally on the EXP servers, but they don't run Tanoa, and I prefer not to have 250+ ping.

Dam this is a sad post to read, of course i would want the servers to stay open as i thoroughly enjoy playing this server, especially because of the people i play with and against (i still have to get zinger stacker) but its obviously up to you and your admin team, however id be more than willing to give more donations.

what about trying to see what happens if you start up a competition, make players have to sign up to the website to enter maybe it could get more donations, i would kick in prize money for a steam voucher or something. At least its worth shot right?

Also im not sure whats up with pubg i stoped playing after a week it got boring quick, maybe see what happens after a few months, the arma players might come back.

Theres a few more ideas i have if your interested.

Thank you 

Distressed Vishphat 

while donations are an important part of keeping the servers running, and both of you two have been generous thus far, it's not the entire issue at hand. I enjoy coding/scripting for the servers, and i have a deep passion for arma in general. our goal when we started this community was to build it for the players, bring the players into the decision making process, after all, we do it for the players in the first place. that is why i have brought this up to the player, to get their thoughts and opinions on the situation.

not too long ago our wasteland server rose to number 100 in the world on game tracker, right behind strayagaming, with our exile server right behind that. both servers would peak from afternoon to midnight, often with a long wait to que for exile. times were good, money wasnt an issue, but most of all. players were enjoying our servers, and our community was growing. then we had an incident between two admins on our wasteland server, and over night, it was destroyed, empty. players became judge and jury, loyalty flew out the window, and that server has never recovered. it was very painful to go through after the countless hours some of us put into it, but we moved on. 

now i look at exile and see 4 players on friday night, 6 on saturday. we had 12 on last night but 6 of those were TAG members. xstreme cherno is 50 odd players everynight, their malden server has now gone past us on game tracker, and their tanoa server is catching. so while pubg has taken its toll on the arma players, obviously there are still some about otherwise all servers would be going through what we are now. and yes some will say that we should do this or shouldnt have done that, but in the end, the server is how it is because of the players. every major decision made, was put to a poll and voted on by the players. its unfortunate now though as most of them no longer play.

and i have said it before, while there are donations to cover the servers they will stay up. none of the staff want to see them close, and im sure there are others like you pair that feel the same way. that is why this question has been raised, to gauge community interest and thoughts. we have 417 members currently, all of whom have come here from our servers, lets see how many of them bother to reply here or offer any input.

Have you guys tried their servers to see whats different ? See what the competition is doing.

not as yet. to be honest, i havent heard anything good about them from anyone i've asked. a lot of their players have been on our server, some banned for various reasons, some moved on after calling 'admin abuse' when we rolled their groups (yes, 6-8 players, all with 1000's of hours in arma, playing as a team supporting each other, that is admin abuse) to be honest, not sure what kind of reception we would get

stronger turn out tonight, maybe there is life in this old beast yet

There was about ten players when i jumped on aroun 11 30.

A few nights ago when I logged on there were 24 players. Was like that all night, I was quite impressed.

36 minutes ago, R3nGr4v3 said:

A few nights ago when I logged on there were 24 players. Was like that all night, I was quite impressed.

I must have missed that night. 20+ players is a good starting number.  It gives you a chance to run into other players. When you get 40+ it becomes hectic.  

Server set up plays a part as well I guess.  We have moved a lot of items out of traders into spec ops or mission only,  to make it more survival/harder game orientated. This won't suit the players who want it all and want it now. Exile really shouldn't be instant gratification, nor should it be militarized, but a lot of players want that. Again,  those decisions were based off community polls. 

If wasteland is dead why not repurpose that server to a new mod or mission file? Is there a new mod out there that might be gaining in popularity?

I was thinking with wasteland,  that straya have moved over to malden,  so that leaves a spot for a stratis server.  However,  I would need to make it jets dlc compat, as well as remove the OP vehicle limitations and return thermals. Make it sift core,  how players like it and see how it goes for a little while. 

Hi guys 

I've just logged on only to find my base is gone again, Last time it was my fault {didn't pay the protection} you kindly  reinstalled my base and I donated $30 as a thank you . Last  time it was both my bases but this time it is only one of them, the protection  I paid on the same day and the one left is due on the 6/8/17 .    Just wondering if the base was deleted for any reason?   Now my point.  if this is the case that the base was deleted that would make it our 3 based deleted without warning.

Our first base was deleted and our mate who built it refused to come back and play on your server. If there is a problem give us the opportunity to fix it. Have a base register, you know who has built there you have our emails let us know. If it is the case that our base has been deleted then you will loose another 3 players.

We enjoy playing on here and hope to keep play here it's a great sever 

Cheers

Rick 

Oh by the way if the you tag guys started playing again that would help. The last few weeks there has been no admin on

Cheers

Rick

38 minutes ago, Narrabeenrick said:

Hi guys 

I've just logged on only to find my base is gone again, Last time it was my fault {didn't pay the protection} you kindly  reinstalled my base and I donated $30 as a thank you . Last  time it was both my bases but this time it is only one of them, the protection  I paid on the same day and the one left is due on the 6/8/17 .    Just wondering if the base was deleted for any reason?   Now my point.  if this is the case that the base was deleted that would make it our 3 based deleted without warning.

Our first base was deleted and our mate who built it refused to come back and play on your server. If there is a problem give us the opportunity to fix it. Have a base register, you know who has built there you have our emails let us know. If it is the case that our base has been deleted then you will loose another 3 players.

We enjoy playing on here and hope to keep play here it's a great sever 

Cheers

Rick 

if we find an illegal base, we do our best to find the owner online and advise them of the issue. often times, we wait several days trying to catch them, but often we cant. the only time we delete a base without warning the owner is if it is blatantly illegal. there are server messages that warn that bases may be deleted without warning.

looking at the database, your base 'Jonestown' was deleted today because protection was not paid. the only time bases are automatically deleted is when either the protection money is not paid, or ransom for a stolen flag is not paid.

we know the work involved in base building, and certainly dont delete them willy nilly.

39 minutes ago, Narrabeenrick said:

Oh by the way if the you tag guys started playing again that would help. The last few weeks there has been no admin on

Cheers

Rick

there is normally at least one admin online every night. we all have RL commitments, that often change and dictate our available server time. however, these forums are here, and free to join. if no admin is online, post the issues here and they will be dealt with as quickly as possible

While I've kinda gone off gaming in the last few months i do find myself wishing that the DayZ mod (not SA) was still a thing. I read about Desolation Redux (http://desolationredux.com) which might be worth a look, if we're looking for somethingto do.

Seen that yeah.  One aus server came out and took off fast,  but now it's died off again. I'll definitely keep an eye on it though

I'm not surprised.
We left for a few reasons but primarily it was one major reason. But there is no point digging up a buried hatchet for why we left.

Some observations:

• Nerfing gear and rewards removes a lot of casual players which wouldn't have helped.
  • Recruiting half of the server pop into TAG was self-destructive.
  • Playing with admin/mod tools enabled is ridiculous.
  • No assignment of mod rights for other groups unless a TAG member...why?
  • When resetting the server you could have changed the maps which would have kept things fresh (eg Lingor, Cherno, Esseker etc).
  • Failure to listen or acknowledge concerns raised by community members
  • All in all Exile has limited playability which is outside your control anyway, so there is only so much you can do.

5 hours ago, Boomstick said:

Nerfing gear and rewards removes a lot of casual players which wouldn't have helped.

all decisions regarding changes to the server were put to polls on the forum, and voted on by the community/players

Recruiting half of the server pop into TAG was self-destructive.

given that out of the ones we recruited, only 2 hung around on the server, to me thats more productive than destructive

Playing with admin/mod tools enabled is ridiculous

admin tools, IE infiSTAR, has only ever been used for admin rolls.

No assignment of mod rights for other groups unless a TAG member...why?

well thats not entirely true. skip was with GG when he became a mod, bulletsponge with =SAS=, kontrasts with MB and eltomo was with noone.

When resetting the server you could have changed the maps which would have kept things fresh (eg Lingor, Cherno, Esseker etc)

yes we could have, but one person maintaining one map is hard enough. also, other communities are running those maps with success, so really only leaves us with tanoa

Failure to listen or acknowledge concerns raised by community members

as mentioned earlier, everything was decided via player votes in polls

All in all Exile has limited playability which is outside your control anyway, so there is only so much you can do

this is very true of all arma game types be it exile/wasteland/invade and annex. you are either diehard arma or your not i suppose 

at the end of the day, when you look at who is playing what, arma falls around 16k-17k world wide on average daily. PUBG is pulling in 300k on average. i know 90% of my steam friends list are playing PUBG over any other title

So you ask for feedback and then refute pretty much everything as wrong? That just reinforces my point about not listening. All the mods/admins were TAG when we were on the server. Hardly a balanced community.

I refute what you said because at best your comments are misleading,  at worse utter bull. 

You know what boom,  having given you input a bit more thought, here is an offer for you.  If the drink boys return to the server, I'll give mod rights to one of you. While mods tools are limited, you will have the a ulity to see what other mods and admins hvar been doing with infistar. And if all goes well,  we can look at an admin role. This offer goes out to the other large groups like IB, both current and former.  Stay on of return to the server and one of your group can receive mod rights.  PM me to discuss this further. 

HI Dekela, I just joined the Exile Tanoa server, as its the only high pop one when I play thats not that a ugly cherno one.

Is this shutdown still on the cards? I don't want to start dedicating any time and have it go to waste is all. If i knew it was going down Id prob still play just not put too much effort in.